Sunday 17 January 2016

Sorcha's talk to the conference

Sorcha and Ryan are part of the LSU school twinning club and also part of CADFA youth links. This is the talk that Sorcha gave at the conference.  

Hi, my name is Sorcha and I am year 13 student at La Swap sixth form in Highgate. I became aware of CADFA through my dad, who has worked with them since 2007. I was also aware of the twinning link between La Sainte Union and Abu-Dis Girls School. Through the school link I have met a number of Palestinians from Abu-Dis. In October 2014 I worked with a group of young people from Palestine. This experience gave me the opportunity to make friendships and hear their personal stories. My first impression of the group was how similar they were to a group of boys in London. After getting to know them, I was overwhelmed by the extraordinary stories they had to tell, in particular, Adam’s story of being shot and attacked on his way home from football training. This made me realize how fortunate I am not to be harassed on a daily basis by armed soldiers. During the visit, I accompanied the group to London zoo. I realized that something so normal for me was a new experience for them because of their restrictions on travelling in Palestine. I was surprised at how amazing their English was despite their fear of it not being good enough. I also accompanied them on a visit to the Sobell Centre in Islington, where the whole group was able to participate in a number of sporting activities. It was incredible to see them all enjoy themselves and be apart of that. I became more aware of what life is like for someone my age living in Palestine.

After the visit, I decided to become more active in both the CADFA youth links team and LSU’s school club. I shared the first-hand stories and experiences of young Palestinians with my fellow students. I helped to organise a UN Children’s Day event in 2014, creating a historic timeline of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. As a group, we became more involved in campaigns and demonstrations to raise awareness of the abuse of Human Rights in Abu-Dis. We have set up several stalls in Kentish Town, handing out leaflets and asking people to sign petitions. Last July, the group took part in another successful youth visit. This involved a three-day residential to Norfolk which gave the group more time to be together and plan what we were going to do in London. The residential gave the Palestinians a first time opportunity to visit the sea and play group games on the beach, which they are unable to do in Palestine. In London, the group worked on a drama piece to present at a theatre in Camden. The message of the performance was to demonstrate the contrast between what life is like for young people living in London and what life is like for young Palestinians living under occupation. During the week, we visited Portcullis House to meet the MP for Camden, Kier Starmer. Several of the young Palestinians informed him of stories and experiences of their fellow students and family members who are now in prison and receive little contact with their families.

At the moment, the youth links team are planning a visit to Abu-Dis in July. This will be the first visit by a youth group to Abu-Dis. We are very much looking forward to the visit and renewing our friendships with the youth groups in Palestine. We have kept in touch through social media and continue to hear their stories. Over the last few months, we have been fundraising for the trip through a number of events and demonstrations. Including a sponsored walk from Parliament Hill to the Houses of Parliament where we handed in letters to our local MPs.

Last summer, as a fundraiser for CADFA some of us decided to fast for a day in recognition of the religious season of Ramadan. As a group we raised a considerable amount of money that is being used to further the work of CADFA in Camden.


Over the last two years, I have learned a great deal about Palestine and the effects of the Israeli occupation on Palestinians. I have learned how the occupation affects their Human Rights and their opportunities. I have the opportunity to go to university and fulfill my dreams however I have learnt how narrow and limited all of their futures are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment